POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Intel Core Build? : Re: Intel Core Build? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Intel Core Build?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 25 Jan 2006 22:41:19
Message: <43d844df$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas A. Fine wrote:
> When can we expect a build of povray for the new Intel Macs?  Is it
> a simple matter to recompile on the new hardware, or are there changes
> needed to take advantage of Intel-specific features?

It means throwing away code that makes the Mac version fast, like the
just-in-time compiler for functions, Alitvec optimisations and of course
getting an Intel Mac to develop on. Neither of which will happen in the
short or mid-term future. Late 2007 the earliest, I would say.

Your best bet is to compile the Unix command-line version if you want a
truly native version, but you should not bet on that, if compiled with gcc
(rather than Intel's much better, yet commercial, compiler), there will be
any speed advantage. Plus, the Intel notebook processors Apple so far uses
are not really faster than the PowerPC processors in the desktop Macs anyway
... so you should not expect much difference from a recent G5 Mac/iMac.

	Thorsten Froehlich, POV-Team