POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : What is "Technical Merit"? : Re: What is "Technical Merit"? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 12:01:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is "Technical Merit"?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 16 Feb 2005 21:17:37
Message: <4213fec1$1@news.povray.org>
> Well, no. The rules say to "focus" on the animation. This clearly means
that
> it should be judged with the sound _on_. If the entry was intended to be
> judged without sound, it would have been submitted without sound.

SNIP

> My concern is that judges apparently deducted points because the _story_
> relied on audio, even though it's clearly allowed in the rules. I'm just
> trying to clarify this now, so it's not an issue for judges in the future.

Ah, I get your point. Yes, if the movie doesn't tell itself without sound,
you're right that the sound has to be listened to. Then again, if you think
about it: IRTC's guidelines say that sound may not be available everywhere.
Hence there is this notion that you should try and make a movie *without*
sound, at least that's how I feel. It's difficult to say: "Don't reduce
points because of audio", because if someone can't listen to it, he won't
understand it, and then he *has* to deduct points because he couldn't
understand what the movie is about. It's a feedback loop, if you think about
it.

I'd judge case by case, and wouldn't give a decisive "Don't deduct points",
because if you rely too much on sound, when you're doing an *Animation*
contest, well, you're entering the wrong contest. :-) It's not a
"Short-Movie" contest, but "Animation", and there definitely is a difference
between the two.

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>