POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : How important... : Re: How important... Server Time
19 Apr 2024 18:49:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How important...
From: Jim Charter
Date: 29 Jan 2005 09:06:56
Message: <41fb9880$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
> How important are the detail images when it comes to judging? What if
> minor things have been missed in one detail image? (And I mean so minor,
> that you just can't see them in your main image).
>
>  ~Steve~
Well that is what is so damnable about it, isn't it. You have to operate
on two levels of detail. I can even imagine there could be a texture
situation in which the effectiveness on each level called for
exclusively different solutions.  But I think the idea here is that
*really* you are producing a picture at the high resolution level, it's
just that you don't have to actually submit the high res render, just a
low res render with some details.  Obviously many considerations will go
into the judging.  Logically the amount of detail, in the details, would
act as a minimum requirement.  ie,  "Great concept, but we can't publish
this as poster because the image breaks down at poster resolutions.
So..."  But as a practical matter, it's a competition, you are being
judged relative to a group.