POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : trivial modifications of pre-existing works : Re: trivial modifications of pre-existing works Server Time
23 Apr 2024 08:12:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: trivial modifications of pre-existing works
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 1 Jan 2005 12:15:30
Message: <41d6dab2$1@news.povray.org>
news:41d69b4c@news.povray.org...
> Greg M. Johnson <gregj;-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>> I was all excited about maybe submitting 2 or 3 entries, and then I saw
>> these words and got a horrible sinking feeling.  Everything I do is a
>> trivial modification of existing work.  But on the two tracks I'm
>> considering, I've easily spent a man day on the changes.  Any thoughts?
>
>  It means that you are not allowed to take a scene you made last year,
> perhaps change the color of a couple of objects in the scene and submit
> that as an entry to the competition.
>
>  If you base your entry on an old scene of yours but you radically
> improve it, I believe it's acceptable.

That's the way I believe it was intended.  Basically, they just don't want
people re-hashing old IRTC entries with only slight modifications, simply in
order to fit within the rules.  If you use pre-existing objects, simply
mention that they were pre-existing and what changes (if any) you made to
them.  It will be considered in the judging.

When the competition was extended, I think they made it more clear that
"incredible image" would be the largest component of the judging.  If you
look at Gilles' "The Wet Bird" (always a good example ;-) ), he made
extensive use of 3rd party models.  Would such an image have a chance at
winning POVComp?  I'm pretty sure that it would, however if someone else had
produced exactly the same image, but hand-created all of their models during
the competition, they would gain the edge.

At least that's the way I see it.  Currently, I've created most of the
models in my entry specifically for the competition, even though I could
have used 3rd-party models for some things, simply because early-on, I
believed that was the larger intent of the competition.

Again, I can't say exactly how the judges will judge, other than what is
already said on the POVComp site, but that's my personal take on the matter.
As always, I could be wrong.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com