POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Who unsubmitted? : Re: Who unsubmitted? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 14:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who unsubmitted?
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 13 Nov 2004 08:34:45
Message: <41960d75$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> That's comletely up to you but if you think your second entry is/will be
> much better than the first you might want to do the second one as a
> replacement anyway.  You are also free to show your images (for example
> in p.b.i.) and ask others which they think is better.

That brings up an interesting thought I had yesterday. I don't know how
the judges are going to judge the entries but it seems like this is
going to be the hardest judgement of their lives. Even just from seeing
the one image that has been revealed (I don't remember the author...I
believe the name of the image was "Girl With An Earring" or something
along that line), I can tell you that my entry is completely different,
technically and thematically. It's just a whole different image. There's
not really any good comparison. So, it's kind of hard for me to know
that "yes, my second entry would be better." It's subjective, really.
I'm sure the judges will do their best to be as objective as possible,
but it just seems like they'll be comparing apples to oranges to bananas
to pears (in which the lowest common denominator is that those are all
fruit...in this case, rendered with POV).

> Such a note will most likely be completely ignored by the judges - the
> fact that you created the image in a certain time is not an argument
> (neither for or against the image).

Yeah I know - I was just going to submit the image to the highend3d
artist gallery after the competition and the like a little "Image
Completion Time" blurb in the description. :)

~Mike