POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : please complete the README file : Re: please complete the README file Server Time
24 Apr 2024 14:01:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: please complete the README file
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 25 Oct 2004 06:41:40
Message: <417cd864@news.povray.org>
In article <web.417ca15c3448cd8b6049b3da0@news.povray.org> , "Albert Benzer"
<benzer ath arkania doth org> wrote:

> Please whoever is responsible make it clear in the macintosh README file

The Mac version comes with documentation that explains where to specify
these folders.

> that the include directories ( ,/, ./include, ./ini at least) have to be
> specified through the preferences file dialog (which also is not in the
> standard macosx place)

The dialog is where is belongs.  There is no standard place in Mac OS X
(only a place where many Mac OS X application are forced to put it), there
is only a standard place in Mac OS and that is where the dialog is.

> for any rendering to occur. I spent about an hour
> playing with .povrayrc and absolute paths until finding out this little one
> which is absolutely essential to enable rendering.

The Mac version does not have a ".povrayrc" file anywhere.  That file is
used in the Unix/Linux version of POV-Ray and has abolsutely no use for the
Mac version.

> Also, why absolute paths have the folders separated by ':' and not by '/' as
> in all unix platforms? If this is the author's choice or some inherited
> feature, please make it also VERY clear in the macintosh README file.

Colons are the standard file separator on Macintosh, which should be well
known to every Mac user.  You can easily see it if you open the Finder Get
Info window for any file or folder.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde