POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV 1.1 beta : Re: MegaPOV 1.1 beta Server Time
27 Sep 2024 18:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV 1.1 beta
From: Jim Charter
Date: 18 Aug 2004 18:52:14
Message: <4123dd9e$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> LightBeam wrote:
>

>> It's an excellent news ! I found megapov very impressive but... Where
>> is the
>> finish_map patch that was included in mlpov 0.83 ? I don't think that
>> patch
>> was:
>>
>> - buggy
>> - incomplete
>> - published too late to be included
>> - incompatible to POV-Ray 3.6 (I don't really know)
>> - no one found the time to add it (Really ;-)  or in beta 2 ??)
>> - did not appear useful (I don't think so...)
>

> Well - that one is difficult.  When i had a look at it i found it quite
> badly designed (or at least unusual).  The syntax was not easy to use
> and misleading - specifying functions instead of floats without a
> wrapping function{} is not a good idea (*).   Also i think Mael
> considered it incomplete - he wanted to add support for anisotropic
> finishes IIRC.
>
> In fact 'finish map' is a misleading name - a finish map would be
> something like:
>
> texture {
>   pigment { ... }
>   finish {
>     bozo
>     finish_map {
>       [0 Fin_1][1 Fin_2]
>     }
>   }
> }
>
> (*) if it is nor clear what i mean imagine the following variation of
> the sample in the MlPOV manual:
>
> #declare fct = function { pigment { checker color rgb 0 color rgb 1
> scale .1 } }
>
> sphere { ...
>   finish {
>     uv_mapping
>     reflection { fct (1) }
>   }
>
> Should that be an incorrect call to function fct() or a function based
> reflection minimum and a constant reflection maximum?
>
> Christoph

I certainly understand the drawbacks with the implimentation.  Just want
to add that I think it renders real world situations where the
depressions in a texture have a different finish that the protrusions.
So I find the functionality useful.  There are workarounds I know but it
adds power and flexibility I thought.