POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV 1.1 beta : Re: MegaPOV 1.1 beta Server Time
27 Sep 2024 18:26:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV 1.1 beta
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 18 Aug 2004 13:06:43
Message: <41238C42.1050307@hotmail.com>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> It has taken a long time but we now have the new version ready, we
> intend to make a short beta phase (about a week, this of course depends
> if there are problems).  Those who want to test can find the new version
> at:
>
> http://megapov.inetart.net/
>
> You will see we also updated the website with a new sample scene gallery
> and some other useful information.

Thanks Christoph, and to the MegaPOV Team! The CodeWarrior version seems
to work fine on my machine (P4 1.6mhz, 512mb ram, Windows 98). It runs
slightly slower than the (unpatched) official POV-Ray release, but much
faster than the recommended download.

I'm glad to see mlPOV made it in.... all those other features are cool
as well (an HDR render I did actually got my older brother to gasp when
he saw it... rare). All those features are sure to keep me busy.

 > We encourage those who have some experience with POV-Ray to test the
 > beta version - this will help us to find possible flaws which might be
 > there since it was quite some time since the last release.  Please
 > report problems to povray.unofficial.patches.

There does seem to be a bug in the camera_view pigment. When the
camera_view pigment is placed inside a pigment_pattern block, the (now
grey) shades of color stop at white and start at black again. In other
words, if you had a white sphere with light shining in it, the highlight
  (diffuse finish) would appear to have black rings turning from
black-to-white instead of one smooth gradation. I'm sure this has to do
with the fact that the patch can't handle high color values yet. No
amount of color_mapping helped in this situation. I can make a file
demonstrating this, if needed.

-Sam