POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Poser 5 for Mac POV-Ray : Re: Poser 5 for Mac POV-Ray Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:29:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poser 5 for Mac POV-Ray
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 16 Aug 2004 14:52:36
Message: <41210274$1@news.povray.org>

news:web.4120e5c594e2455bb8a63dd50@news.povray.org...

> The skin finish on many of your images look very good.

Well, the trick is to avoid lighting situations where the skin would look
bad... and it looks bad in most of them... It's very frustrating actually.

> Was your Birds and Bees image done in POV-Ray? I swear I
> was convinced she was a photograph!

That's pure radiosity (no light source) so there's no highlight except those
already in the image map... It looks like a photograph because it's mostly
what we see, a photograph mapped on a model with those good radiosity-based
shadows . Notice that I didn't show the face because of the lack of
highlights in the eyes (they looked dead). And I brushed off the usual mesh
artifacts too... And it's in B&W because I couldn't get proper colour tones
(flesh tones tend to turn yellow near the highlights) - many of my other
nudes are in B&W for that reason ! This pic is a big workaround.

The current problem with skin is that highlights are bad and there's no good
way to do subsurface scattering on Poser models (due to artefacts and inner
structures).

For some examples by a pro, see the figure studies by Jeremy Engleman here :
http://art.net/~jeremy/

> I was going to post to the povray.tools.poser group, but
> the web-based POV-Ray newsgroups doesn't allow posting
> to the tools groups for some reason. I have access to the
> newsgroups on another computer but I'm rarely there.
> I wonder why they don't allow posting to those groups?

Thanks for pointing this out. I see that the povray.competition group isn't
there either. I'll report that now.

Glad to have you participating in the POVCOMP, btw !

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com