POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : New copyright twist... song titles : Re: New copyright twist... song titles Server Time
24 Apr 2024 01:29:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New copyright twist... song titles
From: John VanSickle
Date: 29 Jul 2004 00:58:41
Message: <41088401$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> I'm considering making an anim which is heavily inspired by a singer's
> trademark song.  I'll certainly make no use of sound.  But how much trouble
> is there in:
>
> 1) Naming my anim after the song title?

Zilch.  The songwriter does not own a copyright on the words that make
up the title.  You can write another *song* with the same title without
violating the original artist's copyright.  F'rinstance, both the
Association and Kool & the Gang have songs named "Cherish."  A lawsuit
over the second use would only have needlessly enriched a couple of
lawyers.

> 2) Basing the plot content on words in the song??

Zilch.  The songwriter does not own a copyright on everything that
can be inspired by the song, and there are quite possibly many songs
that could have inspired the same animation.

Regards,
John