POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Stuck for ideas : Re: Stuck for ideas Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:05:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stuck for ideas
From: Jim Charter
Date: 7 Feb 2004 10:21:30
Message: <4025027a$1@news.povray.org>
One characteristic SciFi is the reliance on special effects and sets to
create an otherwise unexperienceable experience.  The characteristic of
classic scifi is that these effects will be unconvincing, even naive.
Yet we treat them with affection.  The original intention can be to
create an otherworldly even disturbing experience.  Bladerunner did this
effectively the first time I saw it with effective use of the
soundtrack. Sometimes the soundstage set can be exploited. The cozy
spacestation becomes a trap with a alien onboard.  Another intention or
inevitable result is to create a safe, often intimate, platform from
which to speculate about otherworldly experiences.  Those early Startrek
planet surfaces.  They worked because the designers never violated the
limits of a soundstage.  This sence of intimate scale enlisted to
express something alien you almost get for free with raytracing.