POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : it's a question of copyright ... : Re: it's a question of copyright ... Server Time
24 Apr 2024 19:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: it's a question of copyright ...
From: Duncan Gray
Date: 5 Feb 2004 14:17:47
Message: <402296db$1@news.povray.org>
Thank your help all,

Looks like my safest option of the short-listed is to go with the book
that is old enough to be in the public domain (the one that isn't the
invisible man, but for the sake of argument could be) - see if I can
demonstrate to Hollywood how they _should_ have done the special effects
when they made the movie somewhere back in the 50's (haha, dream on Duncan)

As the other two idea's look like they are not permitted, or at least
tread a little to close to some form of copyright infringement to risk,
then there is no harm letting everyone know what the intended subjects
really were:

Thunderbirds was the 70's series I considered to have not dissimilar
copyright issues to Star Trek - I fancied trying to re-make the intro
sequence but keep it puppet looking, and try and make the vehicles and
scenes still look like models. I thought this one would be the most fun
to put together, blob-based humanoids with fake strings attached to the
limbs and trying to mimic that 'thunderbirds walk' - arms and legs
walking in unison and the figure bouncing more than walking; feet not
touching the floor for much of the time - of course building all the
thunderbird ships would have been fun too.

The other book I was considering - the one still copyrighted and looking
like it is shortly to be made into a movie ... Hitch Hikers Guide to the
Galaxy. I had not decided what scene to try yet, probably the whale and
the petunias (excuse spelling) hardly 'Classic Sci-Fi' but the topic is
vague enough for it to be acceptable I think, I've got away with more
tentative connections in the past  ;)

So, the p.d. book that isnt 'the invisible man' it is then.

Let's hope I manage to get this one finished to an acceptable level - I
have started half-a-dozen or so entries since my last anim round entry,
alas in each case have bit off a little more than I could chew and
failed to complete on time.

Thank you all once again

--
Duncan Gray   (warning may contain traces of nut)
n.b. remove "-nsp" from email address if replying