POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : isosurf.cpp / inline & gcc : Re: isosurf.cpp / inline & gcc Server Time
27 Sep 2024 01:13:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurf.cpp / inline & gcc
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 20 Mar 2003 14:30:43
Message: <3e7a16e3@news.povray.org>
In article <3e7a0dca@news.povray.org> , Wolfgang Wieser <wwi### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

> So, please upgrade. gcc-3.2 produces faster POVRay-code anyways.
> (Or, complain about my ignorance in case I am wrong at this issue.)

Mael claimed to be using gcc 3.2.  The last time I used gcc 2.95 was with
POV-Ray 3.1g on an Irix a long time ago.  And in fact inlining can happen in
the backend in some compilers (I don't know where or how often gcc does it
currently).  So my statement was not gcc specific but general about certain
compilers, leaving completely open whether or not the specific gcc version
and configuration used has a problem or not.  Visual Studio also used to
have problems with it (I didn't check in its current version so far).

The compiler I am using on the Mac (Metrowerks CodeWarrior) has supported
very advanced inlining features for several years, so I haven't seen a
problem like this locally (or I can't remember it, it is really long ago).

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde