POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Ever worry about it all crashing down? : Re: Ever worry about it all crashing down? Server Time
26 Sep 2024 23:38:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ever worry about it all crashing down?
From: David Wallace
Date: 19 Jul 2002 07:34:23
Message: <3d37f93f@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote in message

de
> news: 3bf09650@news.povray.org...
> > Have you ever been afraid to try something for fear you're only going to
> > lock up your system or exceed the abilities of the software?
>
> For this picture,
> http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/english/chasm.htm
>
> I was happily working on it until the computer started complaining due to
> the combination of high-quality radiosity, isosurfaces, large image maps
and
> very large models. So I bought 512 Mb of RAM to be able to complete it
> (remember that Norbert Kern bought a new computer to finish his IRTC
winner
> "Insects" picture).
> Of course now that I'm used to 640Mb some projects can't get done at all
so
> I won't even start them (rad + iso + ior + focal blur + etc.).
>
> G.
I am running into the same brick wall.... I had a really nice entry for
October 2001 (Warfare) but my machine (800MHz Duron, 256MB DDR) choked hard
on it.  I increased it to 512 and it still won't go.  I used some of the
same ingredients (radiosity, isosurfaces with max trace=11+, ior, fog) and
the additional burden of huge parametric meshes (about 25 MB worth).  I'm
currently experimenting with creating immense terrain images with POV and a
custom INI for use with height fields.  I really like the results so far
(it's a bit of a memory hog but not egregiously so).  I might even get an
entry in this time.