POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : image map : Re: image map Server Time
27 Sep 2024 03:32:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image map
From: bob h
Date: 15 Jun 2002 22:27:24
Message: <3d0bf78c@news.povray.org>
You know the idea then, I'm sure.

Say a 3.14*100 wide image (in pixels) is the pi, or cylinder circumference,
and the height is always 1 POV unit to start with; but you'd then want that
number to be a 3.14:0.5 (yeah, 0.5, not 1.0) ratio of width to height.
Voila! 314 wide by 50 height, or any rescale of that ratio, will fit
proportionally correct on a POV unit cylinder primitive because it is 2
units diameter, 1 unit tall, and pi*2 units in circumference.

I sort of misspoke before by not pointing out map_type 2 has such a "unit"
system to it. It's not 1 in diameter. I really shouldn't have ever said it
the way I did so haphazardly, pi * height is just plain wrong. It's actually
pi * (height/2). Sorry, I can confuse better than I can help  ;-)
Were the units done differently it would be simpler to think of it as 1 for
diameter, 1 for height, making it pi for circumference. So try to keep that
in mind, that it is 2 across instead yet only 1 unit tall.

Okay, I'm probably digging myself into a hole so I'll shut up now.

bob h