POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : new pattern simulating a wall of interlocking rectangular stones of unequal size : Re: new pattern simulating a wall of interlocking rectangular stones of unequal size Server Time
25 Apr 2024 14:01:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new pattern simulating a wall of interlocking rectangular stones of unequal size
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 13 Jul 2001 09:29:43
Message: <3b4ef7c6@news.povray.org>
Jim Snow <jsn### [at] csgeorgefoxedu> wrote:

> I wrote a pattern simulating the appearance of a stone wall made of
> rectangular blocks of random size that interlock perfectly.  For an
> example, look at "http://cs.georgefox.edu/~jsnow/pov.html".  I haven't
> figured out how to integrate it into Pov-RAY so that I can call the pattern
> by name and pass in parameters, so the only way to play with it right now
> is to copy and paste my code into patterns.c and rename my "ashlar"
> function to match the name of another pattern, and comment out that
> pattern.

Very interesting.  Have you seen my isosurface stone walling code?  It looks
to be doing similar sorts of things, though I think mine is a little bit
more intelligent (in that it does things as a stone mason might do, like
making sure stones are wider than tall, etc)  It's slow, since it's in pov
native code, and then uses iso surfaces, but on the other hand, allows for
lots of nifty stuff like roughing up the surface and morphing it into cones
and cylinders and such by changing the iso function.

I haven't looked at your code since I'm pretty much a novice to the POV
source.

Geoff