POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Zazzle site is open : Re: Zazzle site is open Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:14:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Zazzle site is open
From: William F  Pokorny
Date: 10 Mar 2003 09:40:05
Message: <3E6CA3C5.E124F539@attglobal.net>
I ordered Gilles' "The prisoners" on a large matte canvas some time ago. As you
suggest the image is flat - less dynamic - when compared to the image on screen.
I take some of this as simply the difference between print and screen
technology, but certainly the matte finish also plays a part. The image you are
printing should certainly influence your choices.

As for resolution I am not sure on canvass you can print at resolutions much
beyond 100dpi. It is really canvass and even if your printer is running at
>100dpi it will be throwing ink at the woven  surface of the canvass and I doubt you'd
see much more than an effective 100dpi.

One feature I think is sorely missing from Zazzle is the ability to preview the
image as a print while on line. While it might take some invention, I think it
possible to present an on screen image which to a significant degree reflects
the image as it will look printed. I suppose one brute force method would be for
Zazzle to digitally photograph prints of different types as they print and ship
them to customers - of course under some standardized indoor lighting. Perhaps
POV-Ray could play a part in generating these as printed images? As things are
today we have to make an educated guess about how the image will look printed
and I am afraid sometimes people will be disappointed...

By the way, I think this is on topic. Many of us have an interest in obtaining
prints of POV-Ray images.
Bill P.