POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Height Field utility : Re: Height Field utility Server Time
27 Sep 2024 18:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height Field utility
From: Dave Dunn
Date: 24 Aug 2001 17:07:20
Message: <3B86C235.C1B181EC@aol.com>
Steven Jones wrote:

> It's not for that.  You have to create a list of 2d points that lie on a
> path.  My utility will put the Y values in, so that spline.mcr can generate
> a spline path from those points.

Actually, sounds like it may be just the thing. What I am thinking is that the
heightfiled wireframe will be a grid of splines (or MegaPOV sphere_sweeps),
say, 10 across in the X and Z directions. If your utility could supply the Y
values, then the crossed splines would form a wireframe representation of a
coarse section of the heightfield. Linear splines would give a more jagged
effect, and a cubic or catmull spline would represent the smooth keyword. I
guess something similar could be done with trace or height_field_at, but I
wanted to see what your util could do. Thanks anyway for responding, but I
think I have solved my own problem  : )