POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : sPatch & HammaPatch : Re: sPatch & HammaPatch Server Time
25 Apr 2024 18:38:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sPatch & HammaPatch
From: ryan constantine
Date: 12 Jul 2000 00:27:13
Message: <396BF344.E9089D35@yahoo.com>
i use spatch and did the fuselage of my xwing model in it.  if you look
at the nose i did, you'll see that i built the cutout into the model.
for the rear of the fuselage, however, i converted it to a solid mesh
and then did the cutouts with csg.  in my original fuselage, all of the
cutouts were csg, but they created holes.  so in my second version, i
built in as many cutouts as i felt would be prudent.  so let's take the
nosecone as an example.  i already had the thing made, in particular,
the main center sweep and so i had to figure out how to make the
cutout.  first step was deleting the patches in the area to be worked
on.  this actually deleted more than i needed because it left other
patches lacking nodes.  so next i filled in the areas affected by this
and built the sweep back up to the point where there was a hole where
the cutout was supposed to go.  then i added the cutout.  somethimes, i
would have three or four nodes, but no patch would emerge.  when that
would happen, i would just subdivide what i thought the patch should be;
usually just making a straight line run from one side to the other.
this would usually generate two three point patches and solve the
problem.  i'm sorry this is kind of hard to follow.  if you think it
would help, i could email you my fuselage spatch file.  oh, one last
thing, use layers extensively.  if you need nodes to line up put not
affect each other, that's the best way to do it (two layers).