POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.dos : Glad to see others here. : Re: Glad to see others here. Server Time
23 Apr 2024 06:10:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glad to see others here.
From: Ian Burgmyer
Date: 30 Jun 2000 10:01:49
Message: <395ca84d@news.povray.org>
Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 23:46:01 -0400, "Ian Burgmyer"
> <the### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
> >AMD 486 DX2/80 (could only run in 40MHz mode because the processor got
fried
> >a bit due to accidental overclocking), AMD bios, 12 megs of ram (not
> >joking), 1 GB hard drive.  POV'ing needed to be done on my dad's very
fast
> >AMD 486 DX4 100 (keep in mind this was when Pentium ]['s were out!
*groan*)

> Whaddaya know, I had a SGS-Thompson 486 DX2/80 with 12 RAM and (hold
> your breath) 40MB HDD.

Ouch.  40MB HDD?  Kinda funny, but the first hard drive we had (on our 8088)
was a 42.2MB IDE HDD.  Best at the time ;-)

By the time I "inherited" the machine and we had a Tandy Sensation 486, I
had an amazing 107MB HD.  Guess times change (A LOT!)  ;-)

-Ian

P.S. I remember when that little PC speaker was used for making kwel noises
and that if you really wanted anything better (who would?) then you'd
buy/build a parallel port DAC.  In fact, I think I still have scematics here
somewhere for one...

P.P.S. I made a QuickBasic program that plays the intro riff of the
Offspring's song Walla Walla through your PC speaker!  I then found a SUB
included with this one thing that lets you play sounds through an Adlib
device and I changed it to match that.  Oh man, I need a life ;-)

P.P.P.S. Ya know, Impulse Tracker's PC speaker output driver is VERRRY good!

P.P.P.P.S. Um. . .this is way off-topic, isn't it?

P.P.P.P.P.S.  Naaa...  ;-)