POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.dos : Glad to see others here. : Re: Glad to see others here. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:14:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glad to see others here.
From: Ian Burgmyer
Date: 23 Jun 2000 23:43:32
Message: <39542e64$1@news.povray.org>
Ken Matassa <kma### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
news:394### [at] pacbellnet...
> I started to install Linux on my home system, olny to find that my bios
> only supports hard drive up to 512 meg!

Major bummer!

But couldn't you use a drive overlay program to allow support for bigger
drives?  That's what I did when I had a 486.

> Looked into upgrading the
> rom-bios. Turned out to be a can of worms I didn't want to open. For
> info, my system is:
>
> 486 DX/66, 93', AMD bios, 64 meg ram, VISa localt bus.

Heh, my old 486's specs:

AMD 486 DX2/80 (could only run in 40MHz mode because the processor got fried
a bit due to accidental overclocking), AMD bios, 12 megs of ram (not
joking), 1 GB hard drive.  POV'ing needed to be done on my dad's very fast
AMD 486 DX4 100 (keep in mind this was when Pentium ]['s were out!  *groan*)

> So you see, I have to build a new system before I can use Linux at home.

If you build a new system, you might actually find Windows 98 to be very
nice.  I know I did (when I had a 486, I used to use a DOS/Win3.11 setup,
but when I got my Acer Aspire Pentium ][, I found Windows 95 to run very
good)

-Ian