POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.tutorials : Re: Where are my lights???? : Re: Where are my lights???? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 04:28:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where are my lights????
From: Dave Helfrich
Date: 9 Apr 1999 23:50:45
Message: <370ebc85.0@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the tips...
First of all though, the cylinders that the lights fall in are (supposedly)
clear.  I tried using the "no_shadow" option on them as well, to no avail.

The center is a series of concentric discs, immediately followed by a thin
ring (difference of 2 cylinders.)  The outer most ring is also a difference
of 2 cylinders.  The large ring between them is actually a cylinder, <0, -3,
0>, <0, 1, 0> that is differenced from a plane (y= -0.5).  The large ring
does have a texture because I didn't want the green of the plane to show
there.  But if it's got the "no_shadow" option on it, why wouldn't the
lights shine through?  I think I'm going to try to give that large inner
ring a clear texture and see if that helps.

Secondly, I also tried raising the light sources up along the y axis.. as
high as y=10, which should have taken them well above any of the rings.
Still didn't help.

Thirdly, the camera angle I used in this was so I could get a "bird's eye"
view of the scene.  I don't generally render scenes at that angle...  I do
it on occasion just to get a look at how things are placed when I'm having
difficulties (as I was with this one).  I haven't had any problems yet doing
that.

There are actually more objects in this scene, but I commented them out
while in an attempt to isolate what was blocking the light sources.  When I
sent the sample code, I didn't include those objects.  (Otherwise there'd be
something like 500 or so lines of code commented out.)

Thanks for your tips...  I'll play with it some more and see what I can do.

--Dave