POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rubik Menger : Re: Rubik Menger Server Time
24 Apr 2024 18:29:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rubik Menger
From: Greg Edwards
Date: 18 Jun 2003 16:50:20
Message: <1ftjipabxbqei.a9ihggy2pxd8.dlg@40tude.net>
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:06:23 +0200, JC (Exether) wrote:

> For geometric reasons, it is not possible to build a Rubik's cube of
> more than 6x6 squares, because you always need the corners to touch the
> underneath face when turning a face. Even more, 6x6 is the limit but it
> is very hard to build, and the biggest I saw (and solved :-) was 5x5.
>
> But nothing prevents you from inventing some magnetic attaches for the
> cubes so that they can rely on nothing physical.  ;-)
>
> JC
>
> Greg Edwards wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:20:31 +0200, Fabien Mosen wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>here's a funny thing I made today, a super-Rubik's-Cube in the
>>>form of a Menger sponge.
>>>
>>>Fabien.
>>

>> Something frightening is that I think it would be possible to create such a
>> cube! @_@
>>
>> Imagining the billions of moves required to solve one slice... OK, I think
>> I've regained consciousness...

I was thinking of more of a "cube of cubes" approach where the structure of
one large cube would be used and each block would actually be its own cube
in itself. Thinking of it again, I can see a problem in that the centers

center pieces that hold the whole thing together. Aww well... interesting
idea anyway!

--
light_source#macro G(E)sphere{z+E*y*5e-3.04rotate-z*E*6pigment{rgbt#end{
20*y-10#local n=162;1}#while(n)#local n=n-.3;G(n)x}}G(-n).7}}#end//GregE