POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pi are square Server Time
18 Apr 2024 05:10:05 EDT (-0400)
  Pi are square (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Pi are square
Date: 15 Mar 2023 16:00:00
Message: <web.64122388fe7e72e91f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
Like Hell, they are.

They're not even rectangular, and so aren't the least bit trivial to tesselate a
plane with.

I found a neat repeating pattern somewhere, and thought it would be a fun
pavement pattern.

So I took my Pythagorean pavement pattern that I had converted from Jerome
Grimbert's clever source code into SDL, and modified that to make my
much-expanded repeating unit.

It took me a good while to figure out how to identify the basic repeating unit,
then how to code that efficiently, and how to work the offset.  I had a few
wrong color vectors in my index which made things confusing, here was some hinky
stuff going on with my calculated index values, and so I had to dream up some
corrective functions using select() and mod() to get it to work right.

Enjoy.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'tilingtest.png' (756 KB)

Preview of image 'tilingtest.png'
tilingtest.png

Il 15/03/2023 20:59, Bald Eagle ha scritto:
> Like Hell, they are.
>
> They're not even rectangular, and so aren't the least bit trivial to tesselate a
> plane with.
>
> I found a neat repeating pattern somewhere, and thought it would be a fun
> pavement pattern.
>
> So I took my Pythagorean pavement pattern that I had converted from Jerome
> Grimbert's clever source code into SDL, and modified that to make my
> much-expanded repeating unit.
>
> It took me a good while to figure out how to identify the basic repeating unit,
> then how to code that efficiently, and how to work the offset.  I had a few
> wrong color vectors in my index which made things confusing, here was some hinky
> stuff going on with my calculated index values, and so I had to dream up some
> corrective functions using select() and mod() to get it to work right.
>
> Enjoy.

Pi-day tessellation? Interesting.

Paolo