POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : External Voronoi... now with grid-based points Server Time
28 Mar 2024 22:07:22 EDT (-0400)
  External Voronoi... now with grid-based points (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: External Voronoi... now with grid-based points
Date: 17 Dec 2022 14:45:00
Message: <web.639e1b65c4c8e995b96893c06f35e431@news.povray.org>
Sorry for the endless image spam people.

I got the grid-based version working, once I'd fixed a couple of really subtle
bugs in my geometry classes. I thought maybe I could get away with a 9x9x9 local
grid, but it turns out not. However, it still knocks spots off the old version -
calculates over 50 cells per second on my ageing laptop.

This image is based on a 20x20x20 master grid (8000 cells in total). I'm writing
out two .inc files, one for the points (about 200K for this example) and one for
the meshes (13.8MB). Quite reasonable I think. The meshes are fully minimized
mesh2 objects, but I'm probably using too many decimal places so that file size
could come down a bit. The rendering only took a couple of minutes.

Bill

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'cracklebobs4_02.png' (349 KB)

Preview of image 'cracklebobs4_02.png'
cracklebobs4_02.png

Op 17/12/2022 om 20:41 schreef Bill Pragnell:
> Sorry for the endless image spam people.
>
> I got the grid-based version working, once I'd fixed a couple of really subtle
> bugs in my geometry classes. I thought maybe I could get away with a 9x9x9 local
> grid, but it turns out not. However, it still knocks spots off the old version -
> calculates over 50 cells per second on my ageing laptop.
>
> This image is based on a 20x20x20 master grid (8000 cells in total). I'm writing
> out two .inc files, one for the points (about 200K for this example) and one for
> the meshes (13.8MB). Quite reasonable I think. The meshes are fully minimized
> mesh2 objects, but I'm probably using too many decimal places so that file size
> could come down a bit. The rendering only took a couple of minutes.
>
> Bill

I am deeply impressed indeed. Well done, Bill! I can imagine one of your
iconic scenes using this set up.

One little point of attention, if you forgive me to "criticise"; the
'cracks' appear to have about the same width everywhere and somehow that
rattles a bit. Would it be possible to vary those a tiny little bit
randomly through the object?

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message