POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : which build configuration corresponds to pvengine and pvengineavx exe Server Time
28 Mar 2024 14:29:41 EDT (-0400)
  which build configuration corresponds to pvengine and pvengineavx exe (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: kamalasubha
Subject: which build configuration corresponds to pvengine and pvengineavx exe
Date: 8 Dec 2022 12:55:00
Message: <web.6392242a7f01e6a395a6cf0bc446b3c0@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I tried installing the latest release - POV-Ray Beta Release v3.8.0-beta.2 using
the installer
<https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/download/v3.8.0-beta.2/povwin-v3.8.0-beta.2-setup.exe>
in windows. It installs and the bin directory from the installed path shows the
following set of executables 1) pvengine.exe 2) pvengine64.exe 3)
pvengine-sse2.exe.

When I was checking the source code for the respective installer
<https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/archive/refs/tags/v3.8.0-beta.2.zip>, I could
see windows shows the following set of build configurations 1) Debug 2) Release
3) Release-AVX 4) Release-SSE2.

I am able to map Release-SSE2 generates pvengine-sse2.exe. But, which solution
configuration generates pvengine.exe and pvengine64.exe? Whether it is Release
or Release-AVX? Kindly help me on this.

Post a reply to this message

Le 2022-12-08 à 12:51, kamalasubha a écrit :
> Hi,
> I tried installing the latest release - POV-Ray Beta Release v3.8.0-beta.2 using
> the installer

<https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/download/v3.8.0-beta.2/povwin-v3.8.0-beta.2-setup.exe>
> in windows. It installs and the bin directory from the installed path shows the
> following set of executables 1) pvengine.exe 2) pvengine64.exe 3)
> pvengine-sse2.exe.
>
> When I was checking the source code for the respective installer
> <https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/archive/refs/tags/v3.8.0-beta.2.zip>, I could
> see windows shows the following set of build configurations 1) Debug 2) Release
> 3) Release-AVX 4) Release-SSE2.
>
> I am able to map Release-SSE2 generates pvengine-sse2.exe. But, which solution
> configuration generates pvengine.exe and pvengine64.exe? Whether it is Release
> or Release-AVX? Kindly help me on this.

Using the installer, you shouldn't have to worry about that. The
installer will automatically use the version that best match your
hardware and OS.

pvengine.exe is for 32 bits systems that don't support the SSE2
extension. Limited to 3.5Gb of RAM.

pvengine-sse2.exe is for 32 bits systems that support the SSE2
extension. Limited to 3.5Gb of RAM.

pvengine64.exe is for any 64 bits system, support the full SSE2
extension and can use more than 4 Gb of RAM.

All three versions support multiple CPU and CPU cores, up to 256.

As POV-Ray 3.8 is still technically in it's beta phase, the proper
Release is still in the pipeline.