POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Coffee Mug Server Time
29 Mar 2024 05:02:37 EDT (-0400)
  Coffee Mug (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Dave Blandston
Subject: Coffee Mug
Date: 29 Jun 2022 04:40:00
Message: <web.62bc0f5dbb3ae47281f62c41607c1b34@news.povray.org>
This is a just-for-fun object. The image on the side of the mug is from a .png
image (also made with POV-Ray, of course) but the image is applied to a thin box
which is divided into lots of narrow segments that are wrapped around the mug.

Have an awesome day folks!

Kind regards,
Dave Blandston

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'coffeemug_fde.jpg' (148 KB)

Preview of image 'coffeemug_fde.jpg'
coffeemug_fde.jpg

This shows what's happening - the thin box is only divided into a few segments.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'coffeemug.jpg' (56 KB)

Preview of image 'coffeemug.jpg'
coffeemug.jpg

"Dave Blandston" <IsN### [at] protonmailch> wrote:
> This is a just-for-fun object. The image on the side of the mug is from a .png
> image (also made with POV-Ray, of course) but the image is applied to a thin box
> which is divided into lots of narrow segments that are wrapped around the mug.
>
> Have an awesome day folks!
>
> Kind regards,
> Dave Blandston

Very nice work - that looks like exactly the approach as Chris Colefax's "object
bender".

http://www.oocities.org/ccolefax/index.html

But ... why didn't you just uv-map it with cylindrical mapping?

or a cylindrical warp

https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Warp

Post a reply to this message

Am 29.06.2022 um 12:42 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> "Dave Blandston" <IsN### [at] protonmailch> wrote:
>> This is a just-for-fun object. The image on the side of the mug is from a .png
>> image (also made with POV-Ray, of course) but the image is applied to a thin box
>> which is divided into lots of narrow segments that are wrapped around the mug.
>>
>> Have an awesome day folks!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Dave Blandston
>
> Very nice work - that looks like exactly the approach as Chris Colefax's "object
> bender".
>
> http://www.oocities.org/ccolefax/index.html
>
> But ... why didn't you just uv-map it with cylindrical mapping?
>
> or a cylindrical warp
>
> https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Warp

Yes, very nice indeed. But uv-mapping would need a mesh-object. With CSG
it will not work. With CSG an cylindrical image_map would display the
image at the inside of the cup too. If CSG was used, cutaway_texture may
be an option to avoid the repetition in the inside of the cup.

BTW a very nide inside of a coffee mug was posted 09/03/2002 by tincanman:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C3d74cad9%241%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=437504&toff=850

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain Martel
Date: 29 Jun 2022 16:50:19
Message: <62bcbb0b$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2022-06-29 à 12:59, MichaelJF a écrit :
> Am 29.06.2022 um 12:42 schrieb Bald Eagle:
>> "Dave Blandston" <IsN### [at] protonmailch> wrote:
>>> This is a just-for-fun object. The image on the side of the mug is
>>> from a .png
>>> image (also made with POV-Ray, of course) but the image is applied to
>>> a thin box
>>> which is divided into lots of narrow segments that are wrapped around
>>> the mug.
>>>
>>> Have an awesome day folks!
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Dave Blandston
>>
>> Very nice work - that looks like exactly the approach as Chris
>> Colefax's "object
>> bender".
>>
>> http://www.oocities.org/ccolefax/index.html
>>
>> But ... why didn't you just uv-map it with cylindrical mapping?
>>
>> or a cylindrical warp
>>
>> https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Warp
>>
> Yes, very nice indeed. But uv-mapping would need a mesh-object. With CSG
> it will not work. With CSG an cylindrical image_map would display the
> image at the inside of the cup too. If CSG was used, cutaway_texture may
> be an option to avoid the repetition in the inside of the cup.
>
> BTW a very nide inside of a coffee mug was posted 09/03/2002 by tincanman:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C3d74cad9%241%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=437504&toff=850

> Best regards,
> Michael

You could apply a plain simple texture to the object used to remove the
interior of the mug. That way, it'll prevent the image from showing on
the inside.

Then, there are other primitives that support UV mapping beside mesh.
You could make the mug as a sor or lathe.

Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 29 Jun 2022 17:14:37
Message: <62bcc0bd$1@news.povray.org>
On 2022-06-29 12:59 (-4), MichaelJF wrote:
> Yes, very nice indeed. But uv-mapping would need a mesh-object. With CSG
> it will not work. With CSG an cylindrical image_map would display the
> image at the inside of the cup too. If CSG was used, cutaway_texture may
> be an option to avoid the repetition in the inside of the cup.

An object pigment can be used with the cylindrical warp to avoid the
image on the inside of the mug.  That's how I did my coffee mug:

https://github.com/CousinRicky/POV-CoffeeMug/blob/main/coffeemug.inc

The relevant macros are CoffeeMug_Wrap(), CoffeeMug_Pigment(), and
CoffeeMug_Texture().

Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Blandston
Date: 29 Jun 2022 18:50:00
Message: <web.62bcd6ca2430c20c7c4cdde2607c1b34@news.povray.org>
> Very nice work - that looks like exactly the approach as Chris Colefax's "object
> bender".

Yep I remember Chris Colefax's object bender but I think that what he did was
quite a bit more sophisticated, judging by his walking pencil animation. Here's
another test image that shows the imperfections of my method on objects that
aren't really thin.

The coffee mug was just a fun way to test the macro that divides objects up into
segments.

Kind regards,
Dave Blandston

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'curvedborderchars_.jpg' (98 KB)

Preview of image 'curvedborderchars_.jpg'
curvedborderchars_.jpg

From: Paolo Gibellini
Date: 30 Jun 2022 03:01:18
Message: <62bd4a3e$1@news.povray.org>
Il 30/06/2022 00:48, Dave Blandston ha scritto:
 >> Very nice work - that looks like exactly the approach as Chris
Colefax's "object
 >> bender".
 >

 > Yep I remember Chris Colefax's object bender but I think that what he
did was
 > quite a bit more sophisticated, judging by his walking pencil
animation. Here's
 > another test image that shows the imperfections of my method on
objects that
 > aren't really thin.
 >
 > The coffee mug was just a fun way to test the macro that divides
objects up into
 > segments.
 >
 > Kind regards,
 > Dave Blandston

This image looks also promising, Dave!
The segmentation will leave these "imperfections", but perhaps you can
use a thin box for the surface, and model a separate object for the depth.

Paolo

Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Blandston
Date: 30 Jun 2022 05:00:00
Message: <web.62bd65652430c20c7c4cdde2607c1b34@news.povray.org>
Paolo Gibellini <p.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> This image looks also promising, Dave!
> The segmentation will leave these "imperfections", but perhaps you can
> use a thin box for the surface, and model a separate object for the depth.

Yes that's possible and that's how the coffee cup image was made but my original
goal was to be able to wrap (almost) any object so I was disappointed when it
didn't work out quite the way I wanted. If it had worked out as hoped then my
plan was to allow other types of curves as well - sine waves for example, which
I love. I think this could have produced some interesting animations too! But as
Bald Eagle pointed out, there is a much better utility that can do that already.
I just wanted to learn by doing.

Thanks for the kind words and have a wonderful day!

Warmest regards,
Dave Blandston

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 Jun 2022 06:30:00
Message: <web.62bd7b052430c20c1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Dave Blandston" <IsN### [at] protonmailch> wrote:

> Bald Eagle pointed out, there is a much better utility that can do that already.
> I just wanted to learn by doing.

Having never actually used it, I couldn't honestly say it was "better" for any
particular purpose - and I vaguely recall someone posting images showing similar
limitations - or purposefully enhanced flaws to illustrate the mechanism of
bending.

You already have the coordinates for your text, so what if you "skinned" the
glyphs with a ribbon made of smooth triangles.   Then you could just transform
the vertices as the glyph was bent, and it would smoothly follow the outside
edges?

IIRC, you've already used trace () for some of your lettering work, so maybe
that's an option for other objects as well?

Just thinking aloud.