POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Numbers approaching infinity Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:45:45 EDT (-0400)
  Numbers approaching infinity (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Numbers approaching infinity
Date: 28 Mar 2021 20:09:43
Message: <60611ac7$1@news.povray.org>
tan(x) approaches infinity (i.e. undefined) as x approaches 90 degrees.

How do I detect when this happens and instead replace tan(x) with a very
very large number that is not undefined?

Thanks.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 3/28/2021 8:09 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> tan(x) approaches infinity (i.e. undefined) as x approaches 90 degrees.
>
> How do I detect when this happens and instead replace tan(x) with a very
> very large number that is not undefined?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Mike

Or, approached differently, how do I express the largest angle that is
less than 90 degrees?

Thanks.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

> On 3/28/2021 8:09 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> > tan(x) approaches infinity (i.e. undefined) as x approaches 90 degrees.
> >
> > How do I detect when this happens and instead replace tan(x) with a very
> > very large number that is not undefined?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > Mike
>

> Or, approached differently, how do I express the largest angle that is
> less than 90 degrees?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Mike

tan is sin/cos   use select() to choose a different result when cos = 0 or some
(threshold-cos) is<= 0

select (threshold-cos(theta), alternate result , alternate result, tan result)