POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Server failure Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:03:37 EDT (-0400)
  Server failure (Message 1 to 10 of 88)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: Server failure
Date: 14 Mar 2021 22:10:49
Message: <604ec229$1@news.povray.org>
Folks,

The povray.org server had a catastrophic hardware failure on March 9 and
it was decided that the best course was to replace it completely.

In doing so I chose to do a full, fresh install of the OS rather than
attempt to re-install the old one, and only import the data from our
backup that we needed to get the various services back up.

As the failed system was 15 years old and had been through multiple
upgrades and patches this meant quite a lot of work to replicate configs
with the latest software versions and required re-compiling all the
custom tools (e.g. the NNTP to Web gateway) we have build over the
years. Hence it's taken longer than I would have liked to get it working
again, but IMO it's worth the effort.

The NNTP server is the first to be brought back online and at the time I
post this is the only service running and publicly accessible. Posts
made here will eventually migrate to the web view once that's sorted and
back up; in the meantime only NNTP users will see this message.

Before anyone asks - yes I did consider pointing the web sites
(povray.org, irtc.org etc) to another server and in fact I did for a
short time, with a simple placeholder page at the root of each site. I
quickly noticed from the logs, though, that almost instantly I was
getting lots of web crawler traffic (google, bing, etc) and that the
server was returning "404 not found" to all accesses excepting the root
placeholder page that I'd put in.

That wasn't desirable as it tells the crawlers that the pages that they
are trying to refresh are no longer there, and they also see the simple
root page as no longer having any links. I considered changing the
config so it returned the placeholder page for all URL's, but that had
the downside that it would replace any cached content with the
placeholder, screwing up future searches.

I decided that rather than muck around with other solutions (e.g. return
a temporary failure for all URL's) I'd be better off spending my time
getting the new server configured, so I pointed the sites back how they
were. I didn't know at that point that the server was toast and thought
it might be only a day or two and haven't had time since then to
re-visit it.

Finally, I'd like at this point to give a MASSIVE shout-out to Andrew at
Netplex Internet in CT, who not only provided us with the replacement
server (a HP DL360 G5 that they were no longer using) but also stayed up
until 5am on Saturday getting it set up and configured to the point
where I could remotely log in and start the setup.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

Forgot to mention ... at this point it appears we've only lost about one
day of data (primarily posts to the newsgroups) as I recovered from a
backup taken the previous night.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

On lun., 2021-03-15 at 13:10 +1100, Chris Cason wrote:
> [...]
> return
> a temporary failure for all URL's) I'd be better off spending my
> time
> getting the new server configured, so I pointed the sites back how
> they
> were. I didn't know at that point that the server was toast and
> thought
> it might be only a day or two and haven't had time since then to
> re-visit it.
>
> Finally, I'd like at this point to give a MASSIVE shout-out to Andrew
> at
> Netplex Internet in CT, who not only provided us with the
> replacement
> server (a HP DL360 G5 that they were no longer using) but also stayed
> up
> until 5am on Saturday getting it set up and configured to the point
> where I could remotely log in and start the setup.

Thanks a lot for your dedication.
Many people are following and encouraging your efforts from the two POV
related Facebook groups:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/739767156410999
https://www.facebook.com/groups/fansofpovray

Post a reply to this message

> The povray.org server had a catastrophic hardware failure on March 9 and
> it was decided that the best course was to replace it completely.

> Finally, I'd like at this point to give a MASSIVE shout-out to Andrew at
> Netplex Internet in CT, who not only provided us with the replacement
> server (a HP DL360 G5 that they were no longer using) but also stayed up
> until 5am on Saturday getting it set up and configured to the point
> where I could remotely log in and start the setup.
>
> -- Chris

Thank you Chris!

Thank you Andrew!

Bill P.