POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Glass for v3.8 finish features Server Time
28 Mar 2024 04:52:10 EDT (-0400)
  Glass for v3.8 finish features (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Glass for v3.8 finish features
Date: 8 Aug 2022 08:49:24
Message: <62f10654@news.povray.org>
I was happy to read the instructions for a version 3.8 glass material,
provided by Alain Martel

https://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.62e942de1adc8eb48a3c0aee5cc1b6e%40news.povray.org%3E/

and wanted to try them out myself. This is the result. The different
variations include air bubbles and the albedo keyword in the cylinder, a
scattering media inside the ovus, and appropriate fade_color and
fade_distance for the different objects. The background is a hdr map,
and a single additional point light are completing the setup.

A big thanks to Alain! This is an excellent starting ground for quality
glass material indeed.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'glass_test_02.png' (534 KB)

Preview of image 'glass_test_02.png'
glass_test_02.png

Am 08.08.2022 um 14:49 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> I was happy to read the instructions for a version 3.8 glass material,
> provided by Alain Martel

https://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.62e942de1adc8eb48a3c0aee5cc1b6e%40news.povray.org%3E/

> and wanted to try them out myself. This is the result. The different
> variations include air bubbles and the albedo keyword in the cylinder, a
> scattering media inside the ovus, and appropriate fade_color and
> fade_distance for the different objects. The background is a hdr map,
> and a single additional point light are completing the setup.
>
> A big thanks to Alain! This is an excellent starting ground for quality
> glass material indeed.

Very nice, indeed. Seems I should take a look into the general
discussion occasionally. IMO there is a small drawback. The "caustics"
at the table did not correspond to the light sources within the HDRI
image. But I'm nitpicking ...

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

> I was happy to read the instructions for a version 3.8 glass material,
> provided by Alain Martel

https://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.62e942de1adc8eb48a3c0aee5cc1b6e%40news.povray.org%3E/

> and wanted to try them out myself. This is the result. The different
> variations include air bubbles and the albedo keyword in the cylinder, a
> scattering media inside the ovus, and appropriate fade_color and
> fade_distance for the different objects. The background is a hdr map,
> and a single additional point light are completing the setup.
>
> A big thanks to Alain! This is an excellent starting ground for quality
> glass material indeed.
>
> --
> Thomas

Was it slow to render ? There seems to be no anti aliasing.

Post a reply to this message

> Was it slow to render ? There seems to be no anti aliasing.

I used +a0.3 +am2 +bm2 +bs8  maybe not the best aa setting but I was
playing ;-)

I think total render time was about 2 hours or a bit more.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Aug 2022 08:53:02
Message: <62f258ae$1@news.povray.org>
Op 8-8-2022 om 20:06 schreef MichaelJF:

> Very nice, indeed. Seems I should take a look into the general
> discussion occasionally. IMO there is a small drawback. The "caustics"
> at the table did not correspond to the light sources within the HDRI
> image. But I'm nitpicking ...

You are right as I added an additional light source and the hdri light
sources have been overflooded. I needed it mainly as a backdrop to the
scene.

initially, I wanted to concentrate on the hdr light sources though...

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Aug 2022 10:50:09
Message: <62f27421$1@news.povray.org>
Op 9-8-2022 om 14:53 schreef Thomas de Groot:
> initially, I wanted to concentrate on the hdr light sources though...

...and when I do, no photons are generated!

I use
   photons {
     refraction on
     reflection on
   }

for the sphere with the hdr map, identical to the code for the light
source. Decreasing spacing down to a ridiculously small value doesn't
change anything. I must be missing something here...

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Date: 9 Aug 2022 11:16:11
Message: <62f27a3b$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/9/22 10:50, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Op 9-8-2022 om 14:53 schreef Thomas de Groot:
>> initially, I wanted to concentrate on the hdr light sources though...
>>
> ...and when I do, no photons are generated!
>
> I use
>    photons {
>      refraction on
>      reflection on
>    }
>
> for the sphere with the hdr map, identical to the code for the light
> source. Decreasing spacing down to a ridiculously small value doesn't
> change anything. I must be missing something here...

I'm perhaps not following, but...

Taking your hdr sphere to be an actual hollow sphere, you are making it
a photon target for any photon light sources by adding the photon block
above. In other words - as far as I know - there is no way to shoot
photons from other than a traditional light sources.

Aside: I've never tried to shoot photons from a light source inside a
hollow object at the inside surface of that object. I'm not sure it
would work given the how the radial 'shooting pattern' is aimed at
target objects. Perhaps this the reason why you get no photons? Hmm,
maybe a spot light would work... Too long since I've played with photons.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris R
Date: 9 Aug 2022 11:20:00
Message: <web.62f27ad2e64472364326bc25cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
> I was happy to read the instructions for a version 3.8 glass material,
> provided by Alain Martel

https://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.62e942de1adc8eb48a3c0aee5cc1b6e%40news.povray.org%3E/

> and wanted to try them out myself. This is the result. The different
> variations include air bubbles and the albedo keyword in the cylinder, a
> scattering media inside the ovus, and appropriate fade_color and
> fade_distance for the different objects. The background is a hdr map,
> and a single additional point light are completing the setup.
>
> A big thanks to Alain! This is an excellent starting ground for quality
> glass material indeed.
>
> --
> Thomas
This is why I love working with POV and this community.  There's always someone
who has thought about the same problems and is willing to share their experience
(and code!)

-- Chris R.

Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Date: 9 Aug 2022 13:09:22
Message: <62f294c2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.08.2022 um 17:16 schrieb William F Pokorny:
> On 8/9/22 10:50, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> Op 9-8-2022 om 14:53 schreef Thomas de Groot:
>>> initially, I wanted to concentrate on the hdr light sources though...
>>>
>> ...and when I do, no photons are generated!
>>
>> I use
>>    photons {
>>      refraction on
>>      reflection on
>>    }
>>
>> for the sphere with the hdr map, identical to the code for the light
>> source. Decreasing spacing down to a ridiculously small value doesn't
>> change anything. I must be missing something here...
>>

> I'm perhaps not following, but...
>
> Taking your hdr sphere to be an actual hollow sphere, you are making it
> a photon target for any photon light sources by adding the photon block
> above. In other words - as far as I know - there is no way to shoot
> photons from other than a traditional light sources.
>
> Aside: I've never tried to shoot photons from a light source inside a
> hollow object at the inside surface of that object. I'm not sure it
> would work given the how the radial 'shooting pattern' is aimed at
> target objects. Perhaps this the reason why you get no photons? Hmm,
> maybe a spot light would work... Too long since I've played with photons.
>
> Bill P.
Unfortunatelly, Bill seems to be right. I tried a bit, but it seems to
be impossible to persuade a HDRI light to cast photons, so we need POV
4.0 ;)

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Aug 2022 02:04:55
Message: <62f34a87$1@news.povray.org>
Op 09/08/2022 om 19:09 schreef MichaelJF:
> Am 09.08.2022 um 17:16 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>>>>
>>> ...and when I do, no photons are generated!
>>>
>>> I use
>>>    photons {
>>>      refraction on
>>>      reflection on
>>>    }
>>>
>>> for the sphere with the hdr map, identical to the code for the light
>>> source. Decreasing spacing down to a ridiculously small value doesn't
>>> change anything. I must be missing something here...
>>>

>> I'm perhaps not following, but...
>>
>> Taking your hdr sphere to be an actual hollow sphere, you are making
>> it a photon target for any photon light sources by adding the photon
>> block above. In other words - as far as I know - there is no way to
>> shoot photons from other than a traditional light sources.
>>
>> Aside: I've never tried to shoot photons from a light source inside a
>> hollow object at the inside surface of that object. I'm not sure it
>> would work given the how the radial 'shooting pattern' is aimed at
>> target objects. Perhaps this the reason why you get no photons? Hmm,
>> maybe a spot light would work... Too long since I've played with photons.
>>
>> Bill P.
> Unfortunatelly, Bill seems to be right. I tried a bit, but it seems to
> be impossible to persuade a HDRI light to cast photons, so we need POV
> 4.0 ;)

That was also the conclusion I reached.

POV 4.0, where are you? :-)

--