POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Amber Server Time
29 Mar 2024 12:03:18 EDT (-0400)
  Amber (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Ive
Subject: Amber
Date: 6 Apr 2021 14:35:30
Message: <606ca9f2@news.povray.org>
A few days ago I was asked for some advice about my spectral render rig
- for visualization of amber from some Baltic archeological dig-site.

This did remind me that, a really long time ago, I wrote already a kind
of amber scene. But I never did a /final/ render because of the long
render time and my impatience.

After some searching I found a scene file written in 2001 called
amber.pov and after 30 minutes of rendering time an image was produced
that is not as terrible as I thought ...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'amber.jpg' (172 KB)

Preview of image 'amber.jpg'
amber.jpg

> A few days ago I was asked for some advice about my spectral render rig
> - for visualization of amber from some Baltic archeological dig-site.
>
> This did remind me that, a really long time ago, I wrote already a kind
> of amber scene. But I never did a /final/ render because of the long
> render time and my impatience.
>
> After some searching I found a scene file written in 2001 called
> amber.pov and after 30 minutes of rendering time an image was produced
> that is not as terrible as I thought ...

Hi,

I love this amber material!
It works perfectly for me (never seen amber in my life beside Jurassic Park).
And you only used HRDI lighting (I assume), which makes it more impressive.

I would love to see the material code for my materials project...

Norbert

Post a reply to this message

Am 4/6/2021 um 23:29 schrieb Norbert Kern:
> I love this amber material!
> It works perfectly for me (never seen amber in my life beside Jurassic Park).
> And you only used HRDI lighting (I assume), which makes it more impressive.
>
> I would love to see the material code for my materials project...

Thanks, Norbert.

here you go...

It needs /very/ high quality aa/focal blur settings to make the
micro-normals for slighly blurred reflections/refractions work. Also 1
POV-Ray unit needs to equals 1 cm.

Use and modify it freely.

// ********************
//  Amber
// ********************

// micro-normals for the surface
#declare P_Micro0 = pigment {
   bumps
   color_map {
    [0.0 rgb 0.95]
    [1.0 rgb 1.0 ]
   }
   scale 0.9
}

#declare P_Micro1 = pigment {
   cells turbulence .5
   color_map {
     [0.0 rgb 0.88]
     [1.0 rgb 1.0 ]
   }
   scale 0.01
}

#declare P_Micro2 = pigment{
   crackle turbulence 1
   color_map{
     [0.000 rgb 0.72]
     [0.005 rgb 0.72]
     [0.012 rgb 1.0 ]
     [1.000 rgb 1.0 ]
   }
   scale 5
}

// combine the normals
#declare P_Surface = pigment{
   average turbulence 0
   pigment_map {
     [1.0 P_Micro0]
     [0.1 P_Micro1]
     [0.1 P_Micro1 rotate  45*x]
     [0.1 P_Micro1 rotate -45*x]
     [0.1 P_Micro1 rotate  90*z]
     [0.1 P_Micro1 rotate  45*y]
     [0.1 P_Micro1 rotate -45*y]
     [1.0 P_Micro2]
     [0.7 P_Micro2 rotate 45]
   }
   scale 0.1
}

// Amber surface normal
#declare N_Surface = normal{pigment_pattern{P_Surface} 0.4}

// Amber Material
#declare M_Amber = material {
   texture {
     pigment {rgbf <0.90, 0.79, 0.40, 0.89> }
     finish {
       ambient    0.0
       diffuse    0.09
       specular   0.25
       roughness  0.005
       brilliance 2
       reflection {0.0 1.0 fresnel on}
       conserve_energy
     }
     normal {N_Surface}
   }
   interior {
     ior 1.6
     fade_power 1001
     fade_distance 2.5
     fade_color <0.90, 0.79, 0.40>
   }
}

> A few days ago I was asked for some advice about my spectral render rig
> - for visualization of amber from some Baltic archeological dig-site.
>
> This did remind me that, a really long time ago, I wrote already a kind
> of amber scene. But I never did a /final/ render because of the long
> render time and my impatience.
>
> After some searching I found a scene file written in 2001 called
> amber.pov and after 30 minutes of rendering time an image was produced
> that is not as terrible as I thought ...

A very nice mood!

Paolo

Post a reply to this message

> A few days ago I was asked for some advice about my spectral render rig
> - for visualization of amber from some Baltic archeological dig-site.
>
> This did remind me that, a really long time ago, I wrote already a kind
> of amber scene. But I never did a /final/ render because of the long
> render time and my impatience.
>
> After some searching I found a scene file written in 2001 called
> amber.pov and after 30 minutes of rendering time an image was produced
> that is not as terrible as I thought ...

The bug looking at the other bug in the amber piece : «Great grandpa...
It that you ?»

Post a reply to this message

Beautiful! And the micro-normals look great too.

Like Norbert said, I've never actually seen amber in real life; but this looks
exactly how I imagine it.

Post a reply to this message

>> A few days ago I was asked for some advice about my spectral render
>> rig - for visualization of amber from some Baltic archeological dig-site.
>>
>> This did remind me that, a really long time ago, I wrote already a
>> kind of amber scene. But I never did a /final/ render because of the
>> long render time and my impatience.
>>
>> After some searching I found a scene file written in 2001 called
>> amber.pov and after 30 minutes of rendering time an image was produced
>> that is not as terrible as I thought ...
>>

> The bug looking at the other bug in the amber piece : «Great grandpa...
> It that you ?»

Post a reply to this message

On 4/7/21 4:36 PM, Ash Holsenback wrote:
> On 4/7/21 8:50 AM, Alain Martel wrote:
>> Le 2021-04-06 à 14:35, Ive a écrit :
>>> A few days ago I was asked for some advice about my spectral render
>>> rig - for visualization of amber from some Baltic archeological
>>> dig-site.
>>>
>>> This did remind me that, a really long time ago, I wrote already a
>>> kind of amber scene. But I never did a /final/ render because of the
>>> long render time and my impatience.
>>>
>>> After some searching I found a scene file written in 2001 called
>>> amber.pov and after 30 minutes of rendering time an image was
>>> produced that is not as terrible as I thought ...
>>>

>> The bug looking at the other bug in the amber piece : «Great
>> grandpa... It that you ?»

oops .... meant to say good one