POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : L-Systems in Povray : Re: L-Systems in Povray Server Time
29 Mar 2024 04:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: L-Systems in Povray
From: jr
Date: 30 May 2023 13:35:00
Message: <web.647632ea453cebfcb49d80446cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Droj" <803### [at] drojde> wrote:
> > We have all delved into projects where someone else's code just looks like some
> > big pile of WTF, or worse, sat in front of the Editor unable to make the scene
> > elements that we want, because we just don't have the necessary inbuilt tools,
> > programming experience, or mathematical foundations to even begin making the
> > things that we want.

so true.  </sigh>

> You used the word frustration which is what I feel when I find an interesting
> macro or coding that works amazingly well but which seems to be sort of
> unfinished or not fully developed. And I do not have the knowledge to add the
> code that is necessary to fill in the 'gaps' I identified.
> E.g. I like when a macro outputs a file with the 3D data used to produce the
> image. So I added some code I copied and adapted. My goodness, it was
> devastating and definitely frustrating. Nothing really worked.
> I guess a tutorial would help a lot - at least it would relieve frustration -
> maybe.

just on that point, having written a "general purpose" file handling macro[*],
part of my "frustration" is that users, apparently, "hate" giving feedback (of
course it's possible there are no users of my code :-)).  did you contact the
developer about the shortcomings of the documentation ?

[*] <https://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Jr#SDL_code>
(should you find any useful, please do not hesitate to report "misgivings" ;-))

regards, jr.