POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : uv mapping triangles in mesh {} : Re: uv mapping triangles in mesh {} Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:09:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: uv mapping triangles in mesh {}
From: Kenneth
Date: 24 Mar 2023 04:15:00
Message: <web.641d5afdeebe912c9b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>

> What you need is
> making sure that your pattern object (i.e. the torus) interects your
> primary object (i.e. the triangle) each time you invoke the texture. The
> torus does not move if you do not tell it to specifically. It does not
> move by a texture translate.

Yes, in the usual case of applying an 'object pattern' pigment to an object,
that's true: The pattern is 3D and created at a specific place in 3D space from
the object it is given; then the object it's applied to (the surface of that
object) needs to line up more or less with the pattern in the same space, to see
*some* effect of it. Both things can be translated individually to get the best
line-up, AFAIK.

But I sense that BE's idea is to actually REPEAT the 'object pattern' (or *any*
pattern) on each and every triangle of a mesh via uv-mapping, even if the mesh
is some kind of complex rounded form. If so, it's an intriguing idea; I wonder
if it's possible.