POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Paint : Re: Paint Server Time
29 Mar 2024 01:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paint
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Mar 2023 16:10:00
Message: <web.641225a8798070a51f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
The top layer uses the same
> texture and brush stroke, but modifies the paint thickness by subtracting out
> chips as if the paint were flaking off.
>
> What's nice, so far, is that this HD image with good anti-aliasing took only 5
> minutes to render.

Damn.  That's a really realistic texture.
Having spend quite a bit of time scraping, wire-brushing, power-washing, and
repainting lots of New England structures, I've seen a lot of peeling, bubbling,
and rotting painted wood - and the effect you're achieving is really impressive!

Come up with a method for retaining but displacing those chips, so that they're
still attached, and get some knots to bleed through, and once you light that up
with an HDRI, it'll be damn near photorealistic.

Nice work.

- BE