POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Paint : Paint Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:46:21 EDT (-0400)
  Paint
From: Chris R
Date: 15 Mar 2023 15:55:01
Message: <web.6412217b96bbab13973694065cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
It takes all kinds, and I'm very much a realism fanatic.  I've spent a few days
working on how to model paint, at this point just wall/trim paint to be more
realistic and have come up with some good finishes that work for high gloss,
semi gloss, and satin paints.

I then created some code for creating a paint layer around an object defined by
an isosurface function, as well as some macros for adding brush stroke textures
and changing the thickness of the paint around the object based on arbitrary
patterns.

In the image below, I used some older code for modeling objects made of textured
wood to create two beams.  The bottom beam has the paint layer added on with a
constant thickness and a moderate brush stroke.  The top layer uses the same
texture and brush stroke, but modifies the paint thickness by subtracting out
chips as if the paint were flaking off.

What's nice, so far, is that this HD image with good anti-aliasing took only 5
minutes to render.

-- Chris R.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'painted_wood-hd-hq-20230315.png' (2318 KB)

Preview of image 'painted_wood-hd-hq-20230315.png'
painted_wood-hd-hq-20230315.png