POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #ifdef using a string expression? : #ifdef using a string expression? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:11:22 EDT (-0400)
  #ifdef using a string expression?
From: Kenneth
Date: 14 Mar 2023 08:45:00
Message: <web.64106b86bf01f0119b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
(v3.8.0 beta 1 in Windows 10)

I was playing around with #ifdef recently; just experimenting.

I put a nonsense string expression into it-- not actually defined anywhere-- to
see what would happen:

#ifdef("htenneK")
....do this...
#else
....do that...
#end

Instead of issuing an error message or even a fatal error as I half-way
expected, it actually fell through to the *first* clause successfully. Without
the double quotes, it works as expected and falls through to the #else.

Should #ifdef behave this way? Is the first double-quote causing some kind of
unforeseen problem for the parser?