POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Least Squares fitting : Re: Least Squares fitting Server Time
24 Apr 2024 20:29:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Least Squares fitting
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 Mar 2023 15:45:00
Message: <web.640ce83689b6dca71f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"yesbird" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> I'am afraid that this paper describes the opposite process: fitting something
> _into_ sphere. I mean counctrusting arbitrary form _from_ spheres of different
> radiuses to achieve best fit (most completed volume). Sorry for
> misunderstanding.

I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion, since the function takes all of the
randomly generated points and calculates the center point and radius of a single
best-fitting sphere.   It fits a sphere to the data, not the other way around.

> Despite that, I forced this Matlab function to work, fixing a few typos.

Excellent.  Maybe Matlab can process mesh vertices / point clouds too?