POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Need to run POVRAY on a single thread : Re: Need to run POVRAY on a single thread Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:58:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need to run POVRAY on a single thread
From: Srihari
Date: 9 Feb 2023 01:50:00
Message: <web.63e49744b379c51b95a6cf0b78dd8b08@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "Srihari" <sri### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> > Hi. I tried to run povray on a single thread and for the same purpose I used the
> > +WT1 option. I observed the following : (Refer image attached for reference)
>
> that, likely, is a misunderstanding.  you're telling POV-Ray to run with one
> worker ("render") thread.  if you use the eg 'ps' command while POV-Ray runs,
> you'll see a minimum of six active threads.
>

> > How can we run the povray application completely on a single thread? Kindly
> > share your thoughts. Thanks
>
> if your scene code permits it, you could try and run POV-Ray version 3.6, which
> aiui is the last version not "threaded".
>

> regards, jr.

Thanks for the reply

Based on your inputs I tried to run with and without +WT1 option and check how
many no of threads of running

I could see that multiple threads were getting opened. But with +WT1 option one
thread was having like >12% CPU utilisation and others less than < 0.01.
Meanwhile with +I options I got two threads > 12% utilisation and others < 0.01

Assuming that the CPU threads refers to the trace time, is there any similar
ways to minimise number of threads or impact of threads on photon time and
radiosity time. Screenshots of CPU Utilisation are attached for reference

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'with +wt1 option.png' (38 KB)

Preview of image 'with +wt1 option.png'