POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More trefoil doodles : Re: More trefoil doodles Server Time
25 Apr 2024 02:29:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More trefoil doodles
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 4 Feb 2023 19:50:00
Message: <web.63defce62ed7b75e1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:

> I think that it's interesting that adding many small details or deformations
> to the surface can make its "outfit" (or texture ?) seem quite different,
> even if the real textures are just plain pigments with the default finish.

It doesn't take much - a lot of what we "see" gets made up in our head. And it
explains why all those little visual cues make it so hard to mimic realistic
textures and why so much cgi seems "flat".

I meant like a sine wave, with the triangles rendered in the xy plane, and not
in a tube - like if you only used 0 and pi in the mesh loop.  As the offset
curve gets farther away from one peak, it approaches another peak's offset.