POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More trefoil doodles : Re: More trefoil doodles Server Time
16 Apr 2024 05:00:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More trefoil doodles
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 4 Feb 2023 18:25:00
Message: <web.63dee84a2ed7b75ed0d6e0d389db30a9@news.povray.org>
> "Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> > A few days ago Paolo Gibellini asked me to doodle some more.
> >
> > Here are the results of some experiments I have done since I started
> > looking at Droj's problem in the "2D function to 3D tube" thread.
>
> Those are looking good.  New outfits for an old classic  :)

Thank you

I think that it's interesting that adding many small details or deformations
to the surface can make its "outfit" (or texture ?) seem quite different,
even if the real textures are just plain pigments with the default finish.

> I haven't had time to play with this any further - but was wondering about
> rendering flat ribbons (offset curves), and what happens when the radius/offset
> becomes so large that one gets self-intersection.

Its self intersection happens in a not so nice way, as you can see in the
attached image.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'parametricmesh_17_01.png' (45 KB)

Preview of image 'parametricmesh_17_01.png'
parametricmesh_17_01.png