POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh rendering artifacts : Re: Mesh rendering artifacts Server Time
19 Apr 2024 05:08:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh rendering artifacts
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 1 Feb 2023 20:55:00
Message: <web.63db17c6249f00761f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:

> Which one do you think informs a new user best about what is going on ?

THIS ONE!  THIS ONE!  :D

#declare V = array[4802][9] {

//  VERTEX1    NORMAL1   VERTEX2   NORMAL2    VERTEX3    NORMAL3   COLOR1
COLOR2   COLOR3
{<-8.00, -8.00, -1.51>, <+0.19, +0.19, +0.96>, <-8.00, -7.67, -1.62>, <+0.07,
+0.07, +1.00>, <-7.67, -7.67, -1.64>, <-0.06, -0.06, +1.00> <1.00, 0.66, 0.00>,
<1.00, 0.61, 0.00>, <1.00, 0.61, 0.00>}

> I don't think that it should be a goal in this case to write minimal
> code and packing things as tightly together as possible.
>
> Giving names to different sections of data should be part of the
> documentation.

It should, and If someone like me wants to look at it in a spreadsheet, then I
could just regurgitate it out into a #debug file and do it that way.

> Magic numbers like 4802 is never a good thing. You should show the user
> how you ended up with that number.

I'd agree, as it also helps when writing the code for loops, etc.
As much math as I do, I can never seem to get the really simple stuff right.

> If everything is put into a single array, then if someone wants to
> recalculate e.g. the normals, they may have to deal with the vertices
> and the colors too.

The first thing I did was recalculate the normals, and
a) you are right, it was confusing at first, because there were no labels, and I
forgot the alternating structure of the smooth_triangle format.
b) it was still pretty easy since I just made a smaller array of the new
normals, and used a modified macro to make the mesh with the new normals from
the new array.

> I myself have been abusing Excel for many years

OMG.  There's help out there, Tor.  I hear there's even some groups that can
wean you off of that with OpenOffice.   ;)

> I apologize if this sounds a bit harsh, but I am writing this with my
> best intentions.

We're all just here to learn and play.  Don't go full Ive, and I'm sure
everything will be ok  :D

- Bill