POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lighttype confusion : Re: Lighttype confusion Server Time
16 Apr 2024 15:59:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighttype confusion
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 27 Jan 2023 06:40:00
Message: <web.63d3b72618da66211f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"yesbird" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> While doing wrapper for light source I was little bit confused with this line:
> Light source default values:
> LIGHT_TYPE        : pointlight
> on wiki page: https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Light_Source
>
> As soon as there is no 'pointlight' in this list:
> LIGHT_TYPE:
>   spotlight | shadowless | cylinder | parallel
> and parser gives an error on this keyword, the only way to define point light is
> not to set LIGHT_TYPE at all.
>
> Not a big problem, but it seams to me there is some misunderstanding here.

Welcome to the wonderful world of POV-Ray documentation.
If you read that whole section, it will make sense, and there are specific
sentences and phrases that explain exactly what you are describing.

It's a 30-year old open source project, not a commercial profit-supported
software package, and we just have to live with certain aspects of that.

I'd say that given the massive amount of documentation that has been made, it
was a herculean task, and I think that overall it came out pretty well.   But
there are parts that we still are not happy with and bicker about   ;)

You and/or a friend could submit suggested replacement language.   We could
specifically add an explicit point_light keyword - but atm we don't have a
developer to implement that in official source.
Or maybe Mr. Holsenback can make some edits to the extant documentation as he
sees fit.