POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Borked diacritical marks : Re: Borked diacritical marks Server Time
24 Apr 2024 10:32:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Borked diacritical marks
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Jan 2023 15:40:00
Message: <web.63cd9ed0b78816601f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

Thanks for looking into this, it bothered me too, but it wasn't something that I
was prepared to invest a whole lot of time investigating.

> The results are bafflingly inconsistent:

Yes, I think someone is going to have to sift through some of the source to see
what's going on.

I do recall clipka saying that POV-Ray takes the font files and makes prisms
from them - so maybe something gets messed up in that process, or there's some
fork in the process when the algorithm encounters something in the code that it
doesn't like, and POV-Ray somehow sorta does its own thing.

I wonder if a font editor or hex editor would reveal any attributes/properties
that are common denominators among the borked character glyph definitions.

Otherwise, I don't really see how it can be any different than the WYSIWYG word
processor result.

(I _have_ actually wanted to see if it were possible to read a font file with
POV-Ray and export a standalone prism include...)

> accessing that partition is a PITA
> that I have not been moved to subject myself to in quite a while.

Yeah - I tried to do that once so that I didn't have to make copies of all my
fonts, and just access them directly on the Windows partition, but I was never
successful.  Maybe I'll try again on the next machine.