POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Denoising POV-Ray images in Blender : Re: Denoising POV-Ray images in Blender Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:41:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Denoising POV-Ray images in Blender
From: Samuel B
Date: 20 Jan 2023 18:00:00
Message: <web.63cb1c0d13ac3328e167b36c6e741498@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > A proximity pattern test. (...)
>
> This is the best example of the denoiser technique that you've posted so far,
> IMO. I am amazed that it can discern true noise from your applied ground pattern
> that looks *almost like* noise. The foreground detail looks nice and sharp.
>
> It would be interesting to see this same scene denoised but without the original
> focal blur-- to see at what point (if any!) in the receding distance the
> denoiser might mistake the smaller and smaller actual ground pattern detail for
> what it 'perceives' as noise. To see if the denoiser tries to blur it there when
> it should not(?)
>
> ----
> BTW: A few days ago, I downloaded your 2013 file "ToVolume: Object-To-Volume
> Conversion and Rendering Process". It also has an interesting and much more
> complex 'proximity' file included. I'm sorry to admit that I haven't yet played
> around with your amazing proximity pattern :-( I'm still going through that file
> to try and understand its workings; much of it is beyond my brain-power, ha.

Hi Kenneth,

The denoiser was able to preserve the ground bump largely thanks to the normal
pass I included. It also helps that the normal and albedo passes can take more
camera blur samples than the final pass, since they are faster to render.

Regarding what it would look like with no obvious focal blur, I'm /guessing/
that the denoiser would smooth out everything under a certain size and color
threshold.

Re: ToVolume. I can't remember which type of proximity technique I used for
that. And I would probably be a bit lost myself, opening up that file after all
these years... that tends to happen with old projects ;)

Sam