POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crackle - are we bored yet? : Re: Crackle - are we bored yet? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:03:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crackle - are we bored yet?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Dec 2022 14:25:00
Message: <web.638ba23a7dc652cc1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> and i get this error : Float expected but vector or color expression found.

> Why this "Float expected but vector or color expression" ?
> I still have a lot to learn ...

What you are experiencing is the lack of crossover between the POV-Ray SDL
parser and the function parser.

When you are using x, y, z in SDL, those refer to the basis vectors of the
cardinal axes.

When those variables are evaluated in a function, they refer to the scalar
components of the pixel coordinates being evaluated.

So the function is expecting x to be a scalar value, but you are feeding it <1,
0, 0>.