POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crackle again : Re: Crackle again Server Time
19 Apr 2024 01:07:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crackle again
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 24 Nov 2022 09:15:00
Message: <web.637f7befc37f1de01f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> The other thing I'm unsure about is how many arguments the max() function can
> accept - this is probably the practical upper limit on the cell count.

Nope.  I the one I posted was 500, and I successfully ran one with 1500, which
was SLOW.

But also, even if there is an upper limit, just make an aggregating function
that takes the max () of other, max() functions with fewer arguments than the
limit.

> I was referring to the custom 'standard' crackle that you demonstrated in your
> post, using the min distance from a seed point to generate the color value.

"My post" ... I make a lot of them, and I don't think I've posted any with
POV-Ray's native crackle pattern.

> The
> documentation even mentions using a solid crackle with a regular crackle layered
> over it to generate mortar for the solid cells.

Interesting.   I'll have to look at that - way back in 2013, I used this method
for making mortar for my Secret Passage scene.

#declare Pigment_1 =
pigment{ crackle solid turbulence 0.35 scale 0.45
         color_map{
          [0.00 color rgb<1, 1, 1>*0]
          [0.08 color rgb<1, 1, 1>*0]
          [0.40 color rgb<1, 0.55, 0>]
          [1.00 color rgb<1, 1, 0.8>]
         } // end of color_map
} // end of pigment -----------------

#declare Roughness = 2;

//  Flagstone Texture
#declare Texture_1 =
texture {crackle form <-1, 1, 0> metric 2 offset 0.1 cubic_wave turbulence 0
scale 12
         texture_map {
  [0.00 pigment {Clear}]
  [0.01 pigment {Clear}]
  [0.01 crackle solid form <-1, 1, 0> metric 2 offset 0
   texture_map {
   [0.00 T_Stone5  normal {granite scale Roughness}]
   [0.20 T_Stone5  normal {granite scale Roughness}]

   [0.20 T_Stone14 normal {agate scale Roughness}]
   [0.40 T_Stone14 normal {agate scale Roughness}]

   [0.40 T_Stone20 normal {bumps scale Roughness}]
   [0.60 T_Stone20 normal {bumps scale Roughness}]

   [0.60 T_Stone33 normal {ripples scale Roughness}]
   [0.80 T_Stone33 normal {ripples scale Roughness}]

   [0.80 T_Stone43 normal {waves scale Roughness}]
   [1.00 T_Stone43 normal {waves scale Roughness}]
   }]  //  end of inner texture map
          } // end of outer texture_map

 } // end of texture

> > Also wondering if the Delaunay triangulation can be done as well.  Rendering
> > the dual would be a cool effect.
>
> No idea - this is a bit of a hack! I imagine triangulation could be done with an
> SDL macro, and then the triangles could be colored however you want... but I
> have no experience implementing Delaunay triangulation so I'm not sure.

Yeah - me neither, but I thought maybe you'd have another stroke of genius   :)

Also wondering if, with your existing knowledge of how your code works, if there
was a way to "draw lines" with cylinders around the borders of the cells.
Something to do with the mesh vertices perhaps....