POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crackle : Re: Crackle Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:30:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crackle
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Nov 2022 13:50:00
Message: <web.6373df27302862a41f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> Next stage would be to code it using only functions, and then it could be used
> as a pigment pattern.

Indeed.   If I knew how this all worked and could code it right.  <eyeroll>

Also, these things are SLOW.
I thought the function version would be faster, but this small render took 23.75
min.

My initial frustration with trying to make one of these things was the nested
loops, but I figured I could "unroll" that and just daisy chain the functions.
Which I did, and it works - sorta.
But it's 102 functions, and for some reason it looks like I got the color code
wrong too.

It also look like there are different methods for generating the Voronoi
pattern, and this one is (obviously) grid based, like POV-Ray's.   I'll have to
try my hand at one with a much more arbitrary data set.

Also: Chris R - are you aware that you can get a Voronoi pattern just using
overlapping cones?  Depending on what you're planning to do with it, that would
be both super easy and FAST.  And from what I understand, it's actually a
legitimate Voronoi result.

https://smathermather.com/2012/01/20/fast-calculation-of-voronoi-polygons-in-povray/