POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Shallows - Instalment 1/3 : Re: The Shallows - Instalment 1/3 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 13:58:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Shallows - Instalment 1/3
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 13 Sep 2022 13:35:00
Message: <web.6320beed92dcb1021f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:

This is indeed coming along nicely.

For a railroad track in a swamp, I'd suggest that you give those railroad ties a
good amount of texturing and "rot" - especially on the ends.  Having grown up
around them and sawed them apart on a sawmill, I can tell you that the grain
will be deeply displaced and quite pronounced.   The ends are almost always
crumbling away with plenty of deep cracks.
Maybe isowood is the way to go, although that would add to the total render
time.

> My main criticism would be some of the textures on the train, the top of the
> roof looks great but the wheels look too clean/smooth. I know that part of the
> wheel is pretty smooth/polished but it looks a bit plastic rather than metal.
> Whereas the top of the track looks correct.

I'm sure TdG is still working on it - it's always a never ending list of things
to tweak and adjust.

But yes, the wheels caught my eye as well.
The tracks I think could use some dents and striations just to de-perfectionize
them.

https://pixels.com/featured/railroad-train-car-wheels-hitting-the-tracks-james-bo-insogna.html

> Also, given how rusty the top of the roof looks the rest of the train looks
> untarnished.

I'd say a little bit of added normal to the textures ought to address most of
those issues.

Although the clothing could use some wear and dirt as well --- unless he's going
for that 80's Duran Duran music video vibe...   :D    Put skinny leather ties on
those guys, and then it'll all be good.