POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Convert 313 Cartesian Euler Angles to POV-Ray Coordinates : Re: Convert 313 Cartesian Euler Angles to POV-Ray Coordinates Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:31:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Convert 313 Cartesian Euler Angles to POV-Ray Coordinates
From: LAP
Date: 10 Sep 2022 11:20:00
Message: <web.631caa527d53bcda80f7e38f24a1f89d@news.povray.org>
kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

>  | a b c |     < a, b, c,            < a, d, g,
>  | d e f | -->   d, e, f,  -- or -->   b, e, h,
>  | g h i |       g, h, i,              c, f, i,
>                  0, 0, 0 >             0, 0, 0,>

Yes, but the orginal matrix is in Cartesian coordinates [x, y, z].

The POV Ray matrix operates on its own [x,y,z] coordinates which would be
equivalent to the Cartesian [y, z, -x].

Thus, the matrix needs to be changed to:

< d , g, -a,
  e,  h, -b,
  f,  i, -c,
  0,  0,  0 >

So far this seems to work.

Another part of my problem was that I was also using POV Ray scaling and
translate commands which seem to really mess up the rotations.

From now on I will scale and translate with an external script and just use POV
Ray to rotate.  I can also translate with the POV Ray rotation matrix without
distortion because it is a part of the transformation.