POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does POV not use Intel's "performance" cores? : Re: Does POV not use Intel's "performance" cores? Server Time
29 Mar 2024 05:30:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does POV not use Intel's "performance" cores?
From: Scott
Date: 28 Jul 2022 04:40:00
Message: <web.62e24a68ac2f40e419ad958a2fdca92@news.povray.org>
Thorsten <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it is the operating system, not the application that decides which cores
> get used by which thread. You may want to check the energy efficiency
> settings of your operating system as they might assign all threads to
> just 8 of the cores for some reason.

OK I found the issue.

Render Priority in POV menu of "Normal" (the default) sets the render priority
as "Below Normal" in task manager, which limits it to only using Efficiency
cores.

If I set Render Priority to "High" in POV, this corresponds to "Above Normal" in
task manager, which makes the whole system quite unresponsive, but does use all
cores.

The solution is to keep priority as "Normal" in POV, then immediately after
starting the render, go into Task Manager and change the priority of the POV
process to Normal. This then makes it use all logical cores.

A bit inconvenient, I wonder why "Normal" in POV is converted to "Below Normal"
in task manager?